Ya’ll… (I’m channeling my inner Christy Wright)… she’s so Wright, erm… RIGHT.
Christy Wright is a sought-after speaker, a Certified Business Coach, and my virtual mentor. After attending her Business Boutique event this past November, I cannot get her words out of my head. She knows exactly what you’re thinking and feeling as a small start-up business (or just a dreamer of one), because of her research and mentoring of women-owned small businesses.
As a mega fan and follower of hers, I caught one of her videos directed towards the dreamers out there. Dreamers are the ones that fantasize about starting a business, but never actually pull the trigger. She laid out the top five excuses on what’s stopping them from starting a business.
- “I don’t have enough time”
- Christy says- “You don’t have a time problem, you have a priority problem. You don’t find time, you make time. If it is not the season for you to start a business for some reason (baby, school, new house), that’s ok, but you have the same 24 hours as everyone else. You get to decide what makes the cut.”
- “I don’t have enough money.”
- Christy says- “Start small and grow slow. Many businesses were started in a home office, on a craft table, and for Dave Ramsey- a card table in his living room. You have to start somewhere, and many businesses could start with $0 out of pocket.”
- “Someone else is already doing it.”
- Christy says- “So what? That does not take away from what God wants to do with you. There are people waiting for what you have to offer.”
- “I’m not business-minded.”
- Christy says- “You don’t have to be. Some of the most successful businesses were started by people that had an awesome idea, or something they wanted to offer to the world. What you need is to have common sense, grit, perseverance, and scrappiness.”
- “I’m not ready.”
- Christy says- “It’s like parenting- you’re never fully ready and you learn way more on the job than you could prepare for ahead of time. Being “ready” is a myth.”
You can watch the 16-minute “Excuses” video HERE.
Now what? If one or all of these sounds familiar to the voice in your head, then, take action! Stop making excuses, move past them, and sign up Christy’s 9-week coaching group at- Christy’s Digital Mentoring.